Friday, August 26, 2005

Praise for a referee

I have never been much of a person to praise referees... I believe that in general, referees have been too afraid to admit mistakes, or been notably absent in the debate to suggest ways to improve the game itself.
However, a few days ago, a Dutch referee has stepped into the limelight. Rene Temmink recently stopped a game in the Dutch league between PSV Eindhoven and Den Haag, due to the racist chants of supporters.
That Mr. Temmink did this, shows him as a strong referee and a decent man, who wants to fight the scourge of racism in football with the means possible to him: refereeing. It is about time a referee decides to take a stand.
Furthermore, I can only commend Mr. Temmink on other issues as well. On a recent interview, he was positive on the use of cameras to assist referees: "The referee needs to be able to take the correct decision, and what could be better than a camera. If the assistant is in a position where he can see a monitor and tell whether a ball has crossed the line, then it can only help the referee."
I am extremely happy finally to hear a referee say this. I have always found it to be in the best interest of themselves!
It is the likes of Mr. Temmink which must improve the most beautiful game on Earth. Therefore, I can only nominate him for my football fanatic of the year number 5.

No comments: